Thursday, August 13, 2009

Untreated Ear Infection = Major Parenting Infraction

Baby's first illness requiring actual medical attention occured this week, and I now feel a new level of parental guilt. Poor, sweet little Baby Girl is always so sunny and pleasant that I had no idea she was sick! However, I now know there were clues, pretty obvious clues, that we overlooked or explained away. So here is how it all went down...

"I just wanted to bring her in to be checked out but I'm sure she is fine," said Mom.
"Well, let's just have a look at her and see... let me check her right ear," said Dr. Mack.
"Whaaaaaaaaa!" screamed Emmy.
"Your little girl definitely has an ear infection! Has she been pulling at her ear or coughing any?"
"Um... yes, for about a week or so," said Mom very quietly as she had now shrunk to the size of an ant.

So at this point, I begin to feel physically ill. The guilt has gripped my heart with an intensity that is palpable. We did notice her coughing a little, but she was so smiley when she did it that G and I decided she was showing off her acting skills and doing it for attention. It was cute, so we laughed along with her. I also noticed her pulling her ear, but decided it was a nervous tic developed from the stress of starting daycare. These are explanations only contrived by self-involved, therapist-parents. Poor kid doesn't stand a chance! All behaviors are not psychologically motivated, perhaps there is an underlying medical reason to be considered (real a-ha! moment here). But I don't know medical reasons, therefore, they are scary and to be avoided. Well, not anymore! Good thing about learning things the hard way is you are less likely to forget. Emmy so much as brushes her ear with her hand and we are calling the pediatrician! I need the doctor and a shrink (for me) on speed-dial.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished drying my eyes from laughing so hard! The bad news - welcome to parenthood 101, the good news - the Lord made them (babies) pretty resilient.

    Thanks for sharing. It reminded me of some of my own "learning" experiences.

    Love,love-your mom

    ReplyDelete