Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Doctor, Is My Baby Bulimic?

I should begin by stating that I am aware that bulimia is no laughing matter- I'm a mental health professional for goodness sakes! But I couldn't help but wonder if Baby Girl had developed an acute case of bulimia this weekend. Perhaps all the talk about how gloriously chubby she is finally got to her... or maybe it was that ill-advised afternoon spent watching the America's Next Top Model marathon when I was 9 months pregnant (I'm embarrassed by this but in my sluggish, late pregnancy phase I watched a lot of crap. Just ask G, he'll gladly vent about this one!). Poor Emmy had a rather violent stomach bug beginning on Friday, which she undoubtedly contracted at daycare though really it could have come from anywhere. She is currently in the phase where she would lick the bottom of your shoe if you let her. Everything goes into her mouth! I really struggle with this because I am slightly obsessive-compulsive when it comes to germs, and I don't want to let her put anything in her mouth yet I know she needs to. This is how they explore their world, and she is probably teething. I try make sure she "explores" clean things, but really what can you do? Well, needless to say I am no longer concerned that Emmy has bulimia. Why the sudden glimpse of clarity on my part? Because I'm pretty sure bulimia isn't contagious. G and I caught this bug, too, and got our first taste of parenting while sick. There were some good times and some bad times, but we survived. Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment