Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Walkerson, the Gym Rat

Big week in Woosleyville! Ms. Em is a walker- woo hoo!!! Just call her Walkerson. Walkie-talkie. Walker, Texas Ranger. Whatever, the girl can walk! All weekend long she was walking quite well, but she still insisted upon holding onto one of my fingers. On Monday, I guess no one at daycare was touring her around all day, so she decided to walk. I picked her up on Monday afternoon and she just walked on over to me like, "Hey Mom! What's the big fuss? Walking? Of course, I can walk... been doin' it for years!" I reminded her that this was not actually possible since she is not quite one year old, but she continued to argue with me and assure me that she could practically run. That girl sure has an argumentative nature! Not sure where she got that... couldn't be from her attorney father or her generally disagreeable mother. Well, the point of this whole mini-drama is that the girl can walk. She has been walking, at-will, ever since. She isn't traveling any far distance, but can take as many as 10 steps at a time. Funny how fast it happens. Now, let's see if she ever talks in any intelligible language!

Another major event occurred last night. Ms. Em made her first trip to Rupp Arena, and the girl seemed to love it! Of course, she comes from a long line of gym rats in this family. Just ask her Aunt Polly what her favorite meal is and she is likely to tell ya it's a hot dog/popcorn combo from Memorial Gym. I don't know who started the whole gym rat tradition, but I'd guess it came from the Cox boys (Uncle Johnny, All American and his bro, Uncle Cokie- both players!). I know my mom loved watching Cokie play amongst others. I learned to love the sights, smells (yes, oddly enough!) and sounds of a basketball gymnasium by spending years of my life watching my brother in action. I may have complained on occasion, but I loved it! Em seems to love basketball, too. She really could not take her eyes off of the court, but she also seemed to enjoy the band. Great memories! Thanks to G's wonderful colleague for the great seats!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, the great gym rat tradition continues! And yes, my favorite meal IS hot dogs and popcorn
    :-) Hope BG will do some walking for me this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naturally, this made me cry. I am starting to get really homesick and this sent me over the edge. I can't wait to see her in action. Yes, she does have a strong vocal gene in her, but that is a good thing. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete