Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Talking Tree

It has been a while since my last post, but I have been too busy chasing a fully walking baby to do much writing! The girl is walking so well now and as a result, needs some new shoes. She has been wearing the soft, baby Roby shoes, which are great for learning to walk. However, these shoes are not moisture proof at all, and Em is ready to walk (and practically run) outside. Given that we are in a constant state of slushy and/or frozenness in KY these days, we need some real shoes! I have to warn you that this post is anti-climatic, but it is a memory nonetheless so I feel compelled to document.

Yesterday, I was sooooo excited to take Emmy to the Howard Curry shoe store to buy her first pair of real shoes. This is the store where my first shoes were purchased, though it recently relocated. For all locals, you know that the highlight of the Howard Curry experience is the talking tree (that always knew your name, just like Cheers), which I had been informed had made the move to the new store. So we go to Howard Curry's yesterday, ready to lay down $45 for a pair of baby shoes that Em will wear for 2 months (can anyone spell "highway robbery?"). We come in and the new store is quite nice; it is brightly colored and kid friendly. Nothing at all like the drab, 70's version of the old store, which I must say I still prefer, but there was the blessed talking tree just as promised! Em had a ball running around, while I looked for the perfect shoe. Now I must admit that my girl has some petite feet, but would you believe they had only one pair of baby girl shoes in her size??? They were cute and fit her well. Little navy t-straps, but I was kind of hoping for something more casual and in the brown/pink range. We may go back, but we left without making a purchase. Worst part of all- they did not have the talking tree say goodbye to Emmy!!! Perhaps you have to actually buy something to obtain a farewell from the tree? I should have at least bought her some socks so she could get a shout out. Well, we will be back. For now, we're off to Stride Rite to find some tiny shoes for the tiny princess!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure you do have to buy something for the tree to tell you goodbye. When she gets some hard sole shoes beware the kicking- they hurt.

    ReplyDelete