Monday, November 9, 2009

Blessings

It is nearing Thanksgiving so I guess it is time to start counting our blessings, and it seems like they just keep coming this year. Yesterday was Emmy's baby dedication (our version of baptism, christening, etc.), and it was truly one of the best days of my life! It was a beautiful fall day, we presented our sweet little daughter to her church family for a lovely blessing, and we got to spend the entire day with dear family and friends. It was wonderful! I was so happy that I nearly couldn't fall asleep because really the whole day was like a beautiful dream. Don't you love days like that? We should all get to have more of them than we do, but you have to savor them when they come. One of the sweetest moments for me was when the preacher acknowledged what a crowd of supporters Emmy had present and asked all of our family and friends to raise their hands. When we looked out and saw how many were there, Greg and I were both touched by the support that our little family has. It meant so much! But the best part came when the preacher said that with a support group like that, he knew Emmy would never be neglected. Simple words really, but given that I have spent my entire adult life trying to end the heartbreaking neglect of little children, this was especially touching. He is right, and the difference for Emmy (unlike the precious foster children I meet every day) is a little bit of good fortune and a big supportive family. We could not do it without our loved ones and God's blessing. What a day!

2 comments:

  1. It was such a beautiful, wonderful day. But I was so tired afterwards I came home and fell asleep by 8:00! Unlike Em, I didn't get my nap after church :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days like that...where you are just washed over with happiness and can find it so easy to count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete